Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal





In our homeschool this week…

This week went by so fast it seems like a blur.  I am always thrown off when we have a Monday holiday.  Two of the girls started back to their music lessons.  We are just plugging away.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

My husband and I took a trip to upstate NY to visit our oldest daughter on Monday.


Photobucket
a little foliage from the trip


My favorite thing this week was…

Getting the news that my oldest daughter passed her CNA license exam on her first try.


I’m reading…

I've been reading the Bible chronologically since I finished the Bible in 90 days back in March.  This week I decided to use a Beth Moore study for my personal devotions.  I am deciding between one on the life of David and the other on Jesus.  I am pretty sure I've decided to buy the one on Jesus (for my Kindle.)

I also read Diagnosis Death: Prescription for Trouble series #3 by Richard Maybrey.  It was free (at some point) so I had it on my Kindle. It was an enjoyable read.

I’m cooking…

This week I made a new recipe from the newest Weight Watchers cookbook, I ♥ Leftovers.  Here it is:


Spicy Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder

2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. flour
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 (32-ounce) carton reduced sodium chicken broth
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 chipotle en adobe, minced (I left this out because I didn't have any and thought it might be too hot)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 (6-oz.) reduced sodium lean ham steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2" cubes (I used Canadian bacon)
1/2 cup fat free half and half
 T. minced fresh chives

 Saute onion, celery and garlic in oil over medium high heat, stirring frequently until vegetables are soft (about 5 minutes). Stir in flour and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.  Add broth, sweet potato, chipotle, and salt; bring to boil. reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potato is tender (about 10 minutes). Stir in corn, ham and half-and-half and cook until heated through. Sprinkle each serving with chives.

Serving size (generous 1 cup)
185 calories
5 points plus




A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

Photobucket
Jenna, Emma and Connor sitting outside the Mayflower II.  A great field trip we took yesterday. 
Link up your own Homeschool Mother's Journey or read what other families are doing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...